|Activity||Writing an alphabet cricket poem|
|Curriculum Area||To write poems based on the structure and style of poems read.|
|NC Objectives||English En1 1e), 2d), 8a) & 9a) and En2 4f), 4g), 4h), 4i) & 8c) and En3 1), 2), 3), 4), 5a), 9d), 11) & 12).|
Main learning objectiveTo write poems based on the structure and style of poems read.
Lesson plan and supporting resources
* Carry out shared reading of an alphabet poem and discuss and explain that they are going to write one about cricket.
* Look at word order and how the sentence can be rearranged allow a different starting letter to be used.
* Carry out shared writing of part of an alphabet poem for cricket for selected letters.
- Provide the class with the Activity worksheet for this module and the class begin to write their own alphabet poem about cricket in pairs or other chosen groups. They can complete the letters in any order with what they already know about cricket.
- Use the Supporting Material to help with extra cricket vocabulary if required. The pupils can also just use scenarios from a game rather than use technical vocabulary at all times.
- Move around the class and allow pupils to read their poems aloud to the class.
- The rest of the class listen and must spot the rhyming pattern used, if any.